Lead is a heavy metal used in many materials and
products. When absorbed into the body, it is highly toxic to many
organs and systems and seriously hinders the body's neurological
development. Lead is a natural element and does not break down in the
environment. Once lead has been dispersed and re-deposited into the
environment, it will remain to poison generations of children unless
it is controlled or removed. Even very limited exposures to lead are
hazardous to children.
Informational Brochure (PDF):
Is Your Child Safe From Lead Poisoning? (from the Michigan
Department of Community Health Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention
Environment is a non-profit, advocacy coalition that facilitates
tangible and significant improvements to children’s health through
reductions in environmental threats to children.
SYMPTOMS OF LEAD POISONING
Poor Attention Span
Noticeable Learning Difficulty
Slowed Speech Development
EFFECTS OF LEAD POISONING
Reading and Learning Disabilities
Speech and Language Handicaps
For more information
Guide To Cleaning Up Lead Paint Chips And Dust
of Michigan, Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention: A Call to Action.
Poisoning Info Sheet for Parents: Download an
updated information sheet for parents on lead poisoning from Prevention
Network/Parenting Awareness Michigan -
click here (PDF)..
back to the top