Bridges4Kids Logo

About Us Breaking News Find Help in Michigan Find Help in the USA Find Help in Canada Inspiration
IEP Goals Help4Parents Disability Info Homeschooling College/Financial Aid Summer Camp
IEP Topics Help4Teachers Homework Help Charter/Private Insurance Nutrition
Ask the Attorney Become an Advocate Children "At-Risk" Bullying Legal Research Lead Poisoning
Bridges4Kids is now on Facebook. Follow us today!


Article of Interest - Safety

Printer-friendly Version

Bridges4Kids LogoThe Following Might Save Your Home or Your Life: Fire Chief Reveals Most Common Causes of Household Fires
by Russell E. Sanders, National Fire Protection Association
For more articles like this visit

During my 30-year fire-fighting career, I often responded to home fires that caused less than $500 in property damage -- but the occupants still died from smoke inhalation.

When I was chief of the Louisville, Kentucky, fire department, we passed an ordinance requiring all homes to have smoke detectors. Over the next three years, fire deaths dropped by 30%. The most common causes of household fires and how to prevent them...


Cooking is the number-one cause of home fires. People often worry about grease fires. These can be very dangerous -- but if you don't panic, you can extinguish one easily by sliding a lid over the flaming pan and turning off the heat.

Caution: Do not use baking soda, flour or salt to try to smother the flames. It can cause the fire to flare and burn you. Don't use a fire extinguisher. It may send the burning grease out of the pan onto towels, curtains, cabinets, etc.

Another danger is unattended cooking. Someone may turn on the stove to simmer a pot of stew or soup, then take a nap or run errands. The contents start to burn, and the flames ignite nearby combustibles.

Example: Bean soup seemed to be popular when I was a new firefighter in the 1960s. We could smell it blocks away when it burned and caused a house fire.

Stay safe: Never leave the house when something is cooking. You could be delayed -- and your house could burn to the ground before you get home. When preparing slow-cooking foods, set a timer for 15- or 30-minute intervals. This will remind you to check the stove.


Fires caused by cigarettes, pipes and cigars are among the deadliest. Smokers fall asleep and drop them -- and don't wake up when the fire starts. People also dump ashtrays in the trash without making sure that the butts are completely extinguished.

Stay safe: Never smoke in bed, especially if you have been drinking alcohol. Always extinguish smoking materials completely -- don't just give them a quick stub in the ashtray. Run water over ashtray contents before throwing them away.

Better still, quit the habit -- or at least don't smoke in the house.


There are more than 14,000 clothes-dryer fires each year. The number-one cause is lack of maintenance -- lint collects and catches fire.

Another cause is stacking laundry or other combustibles near the dryer, especially around gas dryers that have open flames.

Stay safe: Clean the dryer filter after every use. Once a year, detach the hosing from the back of the machine and clean it. Keep combustibles three feet or more from any heat-generating equipment, including dryers... electric, gas and kerosene heaters... furnaces... and water heaters.


Candles cause more than 12,000 home fires annually. About half of those fires start in a bedroom. A burning candle can fall over and set fire to furniture, curtains, carpets or other combustible materials.

Stay safe: Put candles in sturdy holders that won't tip over. Don't assume that a candle in a glass holder is safe. The glass might break. Clear the surrounding area of flammable objects. Blow out candles before leaving the room or going to sleep.


People often assume that most electrical fires start inside the walls. While it can happen when wiring is old or improperly installed, visible wires usually cause the trouble.

Example: When inspecting homes after fires, I often saw an unbelievable arrangement of tangled extension cords -- sometimes eight lamps or appliances were plugged into a single outlet. The overheated wires sparked the fire.

Stay safe: Don't use more than one extension cord per outlet. Only use cords with a testing laboratory label attached -- this means that safety professionals have determined that the cord is safe for its intended use.

When using power tools or appliances, check the manuals for the proper extension cord size to use.

Never run extension cords under carpets or rugs. Pressure from walking can fray wires and cause them to spark.


Gasoline fumes are more combustible than the gasoline itself. Unvented vapors can be ignited by a source that is a long distance from the actual fuel.

One of the worst fires I ever saw occurred when a man brought his motorcycle into the house and was cleaning it with gasoline. The water heater ignited the vapors -- and both of his small children died in the flames. That happened on Mother's Day in the 1970s, and I will never forget it.

Stay safe: Gasoline and other flammable products, such as paint thinner, should never be kept inside the house. Only use these products for their intended purposes.

Example: Never use gasoline as a cleaning agent. Store rags that have been used with a flammable product in a metal container with a tight-fitting lid.

If you have a kerosene heater, don't store extra kerosene in the house. And don't refill the heaters when they are hot or in use. Spilled kerosene can spread a fire almost instantly.

Open doors and windows before using any flammable substance, including paint, polyurethane and chemical cleaning agents.


Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors all over the house, certainly on every floor and especially in or near bedrooms. People might think that they will wake up if they smell smoke -- but the carbon monoxide in smoke deepens sleep.

Keep fire extinguishers in the kitchen and garage. Purchase extinguishers that are labeled "ABC." These put out common household fires, including those involving wood, paper, gas and electricity. Make sure that everyone in your family knows how to use them.

Identify two exits from each room in the house whenever possible. The whole family should practice exiting. Quiz your children periodically to help them remember.

Helpful: Keep chain ladders in bedrooms on the second and third floors. But be aware that these are too heavy for young children to put in place.

Establish a meeting place -- in the yard or other safe location outside the house -- where everyone should meet if there is a fire.

I responded to one fire in which a mother got out of the house through the front door. When she couldn't find her children outside, she ran back in the house to find them. She died in the fire, while her children were safe in the backyard.


back to the top     ~     back to Breaking News     ~     back to What's New


Thank you for visiting

bridges4kids does not necessarily agree with the content or subject matter of all articles nor do we endorse any specific argument.  Direct any comments on articles to

2002-2021 Bridges4Kids